First Church was the first organized church in the Pecos Valley and what would become Roswell. Started in 1885, our first building was constructed in 1888 from adobe. In 1897 the congregation moved a block and a half south to a rock and brick buildings on the current location. The history of First Church is rich and colorful and includes the stories of farmer, ranchers, cowboys, a school bell and many business persons.
We are a large church in the United Methodist tradition which has a well-established reputation for conducting quality, traditional worship, where adults of all generations, youth, and children find a place to develop and grow in our relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
Today, First United Methodist Church, the mother church of Roswell, occupies a prominent corner at Second Street and Pennsylvania Ave, near downtown. And it holds an important place in the life, values, and culture of our city. The church is well-known for its beautiful facility, which is made available for many public events in addition to the Christian worship schedule. First Church is known also for our grand music tradition and support of the arts and music within our community. Our choirs have sung in Carnegie Hall, toured parts of the United States and contribute weekly to inspiring worship.